This, site - Plymouth Data - presented by Brian Moseley in partnership with the Plymouth Local Studies Library, and the cooperation on the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office, is one of those gems you occasionally find when trawling the Net for your ancestors. It calls itself the Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History, and it is just that: it has 1,874 pages on subjects as diverse as wharves and piers, convents and workhouses, lord mayors and mechanics.
The information ranges in date from Saxon Plymouth, through the Domesday Book, via the Siege in 1643, World War II and on to today.
U.S. cousins might also be interested in the pages on the Pilgrim Fathers and American Prisoners of War in Plymouth.
If you are trying to build a history around your ancestor-spotting, and some or all of your ancestors came from Plymouth, this site is definitely worth a look and even a bookmark.
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
- Wordless Wednesday: Nicholas Ley 1815-1884
- Sentimental Sunday: My Dad Hated Father's Day
- Surname Saturday: Edgcombe
- Follow Friday: Plymouth Data
- Wordless Wednesday: John Samuel Edgcombe
- Sentimental Sunday: My Grandfather's Sacrifice
- Surname Saturday: Blagdon
- Follow Friday: South Hams Resources
- Wordless Wednesday: Jane Ball Damerell
- Tombstone Tuesday - Jacob and Jane Ball
- Sentimental Sunday: Her Corset Hurt
- Surname Saturday: Ball
- Follow Friday: GenUKI and the Online Parish Clerk ...
- Wordless Wednesday: Minda Mary Edgcombe Ball
- Madness Monday: Keeping it in the family
- Sentimental Sunday: Scrounging Bag
- Surname Saturday: Haywood
- Follow Friday: Births, Marriages and Deaths in the...
- ▼ June (18)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Like others, I got excited at the prospect of Thomas MacEntee's 'Genealogy Do-Over' , and immediately flung myself into the fi...
Now that we are in the third week of Thomas MacEntee's Genealogy Do-Over, I feel able to sit back and review exactly what it is that ...
Like others, I got excited at the prospect of Thomas MacEntee's 'Genealogy Do-Over' , and immediately flung myself into the fir...