I have an Uncle Erks (actually, he passed away years ago, but I have a strong belief in an afterlife). I searched genealogically for years for an 'Erks', until my mother told me this story of how he got his name:
When he was a small boy at school in the 1930s, George Henry Hubert BALL was a thin, weedy little chap. His classmates teased him and called him 'Hercules', since he so obviously wasn't a strongman. 'Hercules' was shortened to 'Erks'; and that is how I knew him. The name caused some confusion when I started working on my family tree!
His brother, Walter, was known as 'Wigs'. How that one came about, I have no idea...
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Today's "Way Back Wednesday" post is about my gggg grandparents. All I know about them are their names and the date they marr...
I have to keep to a routine. I have four surname studies, one One-Place study, ten websites/blogs, my own genealogy, a Facebook group - a...
This isn't a post with a strange word you never heard of that starts with 'X'. Nor is it a post about a word which just hap...
Have you heard of the FamilySearch Wiki? I had, but assumed it was not much more than a blog. But actually it is so much more. You go ...
Following on from the popularity of my 'genealogical trivia' theme for the A-Z Challenge, I am going to continue on. Not at the f...
- ► 2015 (28)
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- ► 2011 (53)
- Way Back Wednesday: Robert MURCH 1687
- Sentimental Sunday: I Want You to Have It
- Surname Saturday: Nott and Naming Traditions
- Follow Friday: Random Acts of Genealogical Kindnes...
- Way Back Wednesday: A New Beginning
- Sentimental Sunday: There She Is
- Surname Saturday: Hall
- Follow Friday: Historical Directories
- Maritime Monday: Ships of the East India Company
- Sentimental Sunday: Hercules was my uncle
- Surname Saturday: Yates or Yeats or Yeates
- Follow Friday: Online Genealogy Lessons from Pharo...
- Wordless Wednesday: Ralph Francis Ley
- Maritime Monday: RNLI - Forever by the Sea
- Surname Saturday: Ley
- Follow Friday: The National Wills Index (UK)
- ▼ September (16)