Sunday 3 October 2010

Sentimental Sunday: Great-Grandfather George

Today's memory comes from my grandmother, Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL.  Back in the 1890s (and probably further back), if there were any leftovers at supper, they were given to the man of the house, usually the father.  But my grandma recalled that, when she was a girl and there were leftovers at the EDGCOMBE supper table, her father would always shout, "Gi' it to the cheeils! Gi' it to the cheeils!" (give it to the children).

When I was in my twenties, I went to visit the grave of my grandma's youngest sister, and met an old man in the town who actually remembered great-grandpa George.  George had a shop in town at first, and always kept a barrel of vinegar in the doorway, where you could take a bottle from home and dip it in (how sanitary!) for a penny.

I look forward to meeting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive