Sunday 31 October 2010

Sentimental Sunday: What was she up to?

A vivid snapshot of my mother, Audrey BALL, when she was about 4 years old:  her mother, my grandmother (Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL) saw my mother race past the window and immediately thought "what has she been up to?"  She soon found out.  A few days earlier, my mother had been given a very special 'party frock'.  Add to this the 1930s way of ironing clothes: sat on a rail on the range were several flatirons, which only got hot from the oven, no electric irons then (certainly not in their house!).  I think you can see where this is going. 

My mother decided she would be grownup and help by ironing her new party dress.  But the flatiron she took burned a hole in the new special dress.  Horrified, the four-year-old did what she was best at - she ran!

And there was I thinking my mother was born knowing how to do things like iron clothes.  Nice (in a way) to know that when she was a child she made mistakes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive