Saturday 25 April 2015

A-Z Challenge 2015: V is for Victoria(n)

Well, this is some sort of victory for me, after being so unwell.  Did you know that the origin of the word 'victory' is Latin - victoria?   And that segues nicely into my 'V' post - here she is:


In case you have no idea who she is - this is Queen Victoria (monarch between 1837-1901).  So many things happened or were discovered or made during her reign!  Here is a genealogical list (you may be familiar with some of the items):

1837 (Victoria ascends the throne) Civil registration introduced (birth, marriage, death certificates) 
1840 New Zealand becomes a British colony
1841 First census of any use to genealogists, containing names, ages (rounded up or down), occupations, and a simple "born in same county? Yes/No"
1848 Cholera epidemic (2,000 a week dead)
1851 Great Exhibition
1851 Census: this one includes actual town or village of birth, and ages were not rounded up or down
1854 Crimean War
1861 Census
1867 British North America becomes Dominion of Canada
1870 Basic education becomes free for children under 10
1871 Census
1881 Census (did you ever use those CDs published by the LDS? I did some of the indexing!)
1891 Census
1901 Census
and of course, many other items such as invention of the telephone, the light bulb, the Great Famine, steam engines, the Industrial Revolution - the list goes on and on

After she died:
1911 Census (this is the first one where you can see the householder's handwriting instead of the enumerator's (sometimes guesswork) - I never knew how much impact it would make on me until I saw my great-grandfather's handwriting and realised it was exactly the same as my father's)
Suffragettes would often write "No Vote No Census" instead of completing it.

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com



© 2015 Ros Haywood. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. Good to see you back, Ros, and I enjoyed reading your Victorian timeline. For my letter T themes i featured Timelines too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good - and thanks for the good wishes. Off I go to read your blog!

      Ros

      Delete
  2. That is interesting about when census first started and how much was done while she was a Queen. I am so glad you are back. I was down for the count in March and it was horrible. I am glad you are better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind wishes. Yes, some of the earlier censuses were along the lines of "One man, one woman, three sheep, one cow, and one dog." And some of the really early ones (1700) just named the men, didn't even count the women and children. (Or the sheep, or the cows, or the dogs ha ha.)

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you again, Ros - your posts are always interesting & I like the geneology specific timeline you created :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to be back! Shame I missed out on some of my favourite letters. Thank you for your compliments. Just off to read your 'V' post...I enjoy your blog as well.

      Delete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive